By Jon Kawamoto / East Bay Times
DANVILLE — A state bill urged by the family of a Danville girl who died tragically of a peanut allergy has been signed into law by Gov. Gavin Newsom.
The bill was introduced by Assemblywoman Rebecca Bauer-Kahan, D-Orinda, who represents the 16th Assembly District. The bill is called the Natalie Giorgi Sunshine Act, or AB 1532. It was named for Natalie Giorgi, who was 13 when she died in July 2013. She had a severe reaction to a Rice Krispies treat that contained peanut butter at a summer camp in Sacramento.
Newsom signed the bill into law Tuesday.
The new law protects individuals with severe food allergies by requiring all food handlers to have a certification in safe food handling practices for major food allegens, according to a news release from Assemblywoman Bauer-Kahan’s office.