As of May 3, 2023, you will need a REAL ID to:
- Board a domestic flight
- Enter a secure federal facility
- Enter a federal courthouse or other federal building
The California REAL ID is a driver license or identification card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles that meets federal identification standards established by Congress to make the country safer. This new identification card requires stricter documentation and standards to verify the identity of those who have one.
To apply, you must visit your local DMV office and bring:
- One proof of identity, such as a current U.S. passport or official birth certificate
- One proof of your Social Security number, such as your Social Security card or original W-2 form
- Two proofs of California Residency, such as your utility bill, cell phone bill, insurance documents, or rental agreement
Visit the DMV's webpage to learn more and get started online!